The health benefits of a Turkish bath
A Turkish bath or hammam is not simply a means to get clean but is also a ritualistic experience, one made up of hot steam, detoxifying body treatments and a soothing cup of tea.
A Turkish bath – Turkish hamam is a hot steam hydro-therapy treatment which has a miraculous effect on both the mental and physical state of everyone able to enjoy its benefits to the full.
Steam has beneficial effects on your body and mind keeping stress at bay
UK-based nutritionist Sarah Flower advises a Turkish bath is a natural way to remove toxins from the body including cholesterol, heavy metals, salt, alcohol and even nicotine.
‘These baths have also been proven to help with mental health, as it helps to aid true relaxation and stimulate your immune system, increase your circulation and aid lymphatic drainage.’ the expert said.
Sitting in a hot, dry sauna or hot, humid steam room offers a number of health benefits. These include:
- an elevated body temperature, which works as a fever would to boost immunity by increasing white blood cell production
- heavy sweating, which helps eliminate toxins, chemicals and other impurities from the skin
- increased heart rate, blood circulation and metabolic rate
- looser, relaxed muscles after exercise
- relief for stress, tension and high blood pressure
- sense of mental well-being and rejuvenation.
A Turkish bath is the perfect remedy for stress and the uncomfortable physiological reactions it can provoke thanks to the soothing and all-round relaxing effect the hot steam has on both body and mind