Know before you go to the Bath
• There are some strict hamam rules to be followed.
• Historical Vezneciler Turkish Bath is a communal, mixed (unisex) hamam.
• Men usually completely strip and wear nothing underneath the bath wrap. Women, on the other hand, typically keep their underwear on (but often not their bra) underneath the bath wrap. The choice is yours
• Historical Vezneciler Hamami is open everyday from 8 am to 11 pm.
• Ladies can bring their bikinis if they like.
• The masseur and scrubber will be the same sex as you are
• Standard soap is used. If you have sensitive skin or are allergic to some products, bring your own soap
• Advance booking is always advisable
• The tip is normally 10-20 per cent of the total amount
The Turkish bath is a long-revered custom, centuries old; perfect for those looking for a truly physical and spiritual cleansing experience.
Historical Vezneciler Turkish Bath was awarded a certificate of excellence in 2018 by TripAdvisor. Ottoman Ruler Sultan Bayezid II had it built in the year 1481.
The classic hamam ritual usually takes about 60 minutes.
Prepare to leave the chaos and humdrum of life behind as soon as you enter the Turkish bath. Immerse yourself and embrace traditional custom by wearing the waistcloth and clogs provided.
Not quite for the faint hearted, inside the temperature can reach up to 50 degrees celsius under the central dome of the building.
The combined intense heat and humidity encourage the pores to open and impurities to be extracted from the body.
Following this, your skin will be gently exfoliated with a Turkish scrub and you will receive a soothing soap massage.
Finally, after resting, you can enjoy Turkish tea before being taken back to your hotel feeling relaxed, rejuvenated and refreshed.
About Historical Vezneciler Hamami
Historical Vezneciler Turkish Bath is located in the district of Fatih, on Bozdogan Kemeri Road. Ottoman Ruler Sultan Beyazid II had it built in the year 1481. Being the first and only Bath built on the second floor, Vezneciler Turkish Bath is unique both in the world and Turkiye. The curative water that heals the illness of jaundice is another feature of this bath.
This bath which hosted many important statesmen and pashas was renovated in 1950 by rebuilding the section of changing rooms out of reinforced concrete. Although Evliya Celebi mentioned Vezneciler Bath being a “double bath” (separate entrances for both sexes), this feature of the bath cannot be seen today. Vezneciler Turkish Bath is still in service today is private property.
Address: Süleymaniye Mah. Bozdogan Kemeri Cad. No.2 Vezneciler, 34116 Fatih / Istanbul, Turkey